6 Steps To Get A Philippines Entry Exemption Document For The SRRV Visa

Can you help me With My Entry Exemption Request?

Yes. I have Visa and Immigration Specialist ready to remove the hassle, headaches, and complexity of your Philippine Entry Exemption document request. A Visa Specialists can deal with the Department of Foreign Affairs (DFA), Philippine Retirement Association (PRA), and the Department of Tourism (DOT) on your behalf. Chat with a Philippine Visa Specialist here.

UPDATED Entry Exemption Document (EED) Requirements April 1, 2022

As of April 1, 2022, citizens from visa-restricted countries only need a valid visa (9a or other similar visas) to enter the country; An EED is no longer required. 

As of February 10, 2022, foreigners from visa-free countries no longer require an EED to enter the Philippines.
To read the latest Entry and Travel Restrictions, see my article on "Can I Travel To the Philippines Right Now?"

Philippines Bureau of Immigration Philippines Entry Requirements as of April 1, 2022

What is A Philippine Entry Exemption Document (EED)?

SRRV Applicants from a visa-restricted country must have a Philippine Entry Exemption Document (EED) prior to applying for the 9a visa. The Philippines Retirement Association (PRA) will request an EED for expats who have completed the SRRV basic requirements. However, approval of the EED is issued by the Philippine Department of Foreign Affairs (DFA) and endorsed by the Department of Tourism (DOT)

Which Documents Are Required For A Philippines Entry Exemption Document?

The Philippines Retirement Association (PRA) will only request an EED for visa applicants who have submitted ALL the SRRV documents. Documentary requirements include Letter Request for EED, SRRV Application Form, Medical Certificate, Police Clearance, Proof of Pension Income, etc.

Foreign parents with minor children will need to show legal proof of relationship (birth certificate, adoption papers, etc.)

Download a complete list of SRRV required documents here.

What happens after the EED is Approved?

Once the PRA sends you the approved EED, you will need to present the EED at your local Philippine Embassy or Consulate and apply for a 9a visa allowing expat retirees to travel to the Philippines. Once you arrive in the Philippines, you will need to complete the Special Resident Retiree Visa (SRRV) application process to move to the Philippines permanently.

What Is 9(a) Temporary Visitor visa?

A 9(a) visa is a temporary non-immigrant visa issued to foreign nationals only valid for a short period of time (between 7-59 days depending on citizenship).

Is the EED Required To Get The 9a visa or a SRR Visa?

As of April 1, 2022, obtaining a Philippines Entry Exemption Document (EED) is no longer necessary. Foreigners from visa-required countries only need a valid visa (short-term 9a or similar) to travel to the Philippines. 

How long does it take to process an Entry Exemption Request?

The PRA will begin processing your EED once they receive the complete requirements. However, it is difficult to estimate a timeline, because an EED requires approval from three government agencies: the Philippines Retirement Authority, the Department of Tourism, and the Department of Foreign Affairs.

What happens to my deposit if My Philippine Entry Exemption Document is denied?

Your visa deposit and payment fees are refunded if you do not meet the entry requirements and your EED request is denied. However, the PRA will reduce the refunded balance by charging a $200 USD processing fee.

Is the EED A Permanent Residence Visa?

The EED is not a visa. The EED is a temporary approval allowing you to enter the Philippines. To live in the Philippines permanently, you need a visa like the SRRV. 

Can Foreign Nationals Enter The Philippines Now?

Yes, but under specific conditions. Including dual citizens, Balikbayan program participants (accompanying foreign spouses, former Filipino citizens, and children of Filipino parents), and visa holders with valid visas. You can read the latest SRRV updates here. 

Do I Need An EED If My Spouse Is A Filipino Citizen?

If you have a 13a visa (issued to a legal spouse of a Philippine National), you do NOT need an EED if you are traveling with your Filipino spouse. If you arrive in the country by yourself, you will need an EED.

How Do I Get An Entry Exemption Document For Other Philippine Visas?

Understand that you don't request for an EED directly. The EED is requested by a Philippine government agency to the Department of Foreign Affairs (DFA) on your behalf. Getting an EED requires finding a Philippine government agency with jurisdiction of your reason to enter the Philippines. 

The requesting government agency you need to contact depends on your reason to enter the Philippines:

  1. Retirement (SRRV) = Philippine Retirement Authority
  2. Marriage Visa = No need for EED request a 9a directly from the Philippine Embassy or Consulate of your country of residence
  3. Working Visa = Department of Labor and Employment 
  4. Student Visa (Primary up to Secondary Level) = Department of Education
  5. Student Visa (College and University Students) = Commission on Higher Education (CHED)
  6. Investor's Visa (SIRV) = Board of Investments
  7. Tourism = Department of Tourism 
  8. Business = See section below

How do I get an EED to do business in the Philippines?

An EED to do business in the Philippines must come from an endorsing Philippine government agency with jurisdiction over your industry. The endorsing agency must petition the Department of Foreign Affairs Office of Consular Affairs (DFA-OCA) for an EED on your behalf.

The first step for your business EED is finding the Philippine government agency assigned to your industry or business.

For example, if you wanted to make a sales call to a specific client registered with the Department of Trade and Industry (DTI), you would request the DTI to endorse you for an EED. Similarly, if your primary industry were telecommunications, you would need to contact the National Telecommunications Commission (NTC) for your EED.

Not all government agencies understand the EED process or support EED requests.

Expat Guide To Living In The Philippines- Costs, Visas, Safety, Pros & Cons (2022)
Philippines SRRV Visa Update and Requirements- All Your Questions Answered (2023)
How To Get A Philippines Retirement Visa For As Low As $1500
2024 Philippines Online Annual Reporting Requirement Guide for Expats
Expat Life in the Philippines: An American Expat’s Pros and Cons
Foreigner’s Guide To Prenuptial Agreements in the Philippines- Protecting Your Money

Page [tcb_pagination_current_page] of [tcb_pagination_total_pages]

How To Apply For An Entry Exemption Document (EED) Allowing Foreigners To Enter The Philippines

Step 1- Gather required documents

Can be the most time-consuming part of the process. To enter the country, these documents do NOT have to be apostilled or authenticated. However, to get your visa, the same documents will need validation, which is easier to get in your Country of Origin.

Documentary proof includes valid passports, an employment certificate, a police background check, a bank statement, proof of financial capacity, and a marriage certificate.  

Get a complete checklist of additional documents here.

Step 2- Transfer Visa Deposit and Payment of Fees

Send the visa fee and deposit to the Philippines Retirement Association (PRA) bank. The amount depends on which visa you will be applying for. Specific amounts and bank details can be found at

Step 3- Entry Exemption Request

After submitting all the documents online and sending your deposit to the PRA bank, you can request the Philippines Entry Exemption Document from the PRA allowing you to enter the country. 

Step 4- Deal With Bureaucracy

Your Entry Exemption request needs sign off from THREE different government agencies.

  • Philippines Retirement Association (PRA)
  • Department of Foreign Affairs (DFA)
  • Department of Transportation (DOT)

For help dealing with the paperwork and red tape click

Step 5- Get a Temporary 9(a) Visa

Present your approved EED at the nearest Philippine Embassy or Consulate to apply for a 9(a) Temporary Non-Immigrant Visa allowing you to enter the country.

Step 6- Finalize the SRRV Visa

After arriving in the Philippines, complete the visa process by physically submitting all the documents from Step 1, along with your passport with your entry visa to finalize the Special Resident and Retirees Visa (SRRV) process. The SRRV allows you to permanently immigrate to the Philippines

You can now live in the Philippines long-term and enjoy the beautiful beaches, friendly people, and low cost of living.

About the author

Hi, That's me. I'm Marco Sison. I am a survivor of the corporate rat race. I started Nomad FIRE to show you an alternative to the stress and grind of 70-hour weeks to pay off a mortgage, student loans, and countless bills. After getting laid off in 2015, I said screw it all and retired early at 41 years old. I have traveled the last five years to over 40 countries to show you the best ways to save, invest, and live in amazing countries for 70% less cost than the US. I have been featured in: US News & World Reports, Huffington Post, MSN Money, USA Today, ABC Network, Yahoo Finance, Best Life, CW Network, Dr. Wealth, and others. [view press...]

{"email":"Email address invalid","url":"Website address invalid","required":"Required field missing"}