Also Make Sure You Check Out Our New Expat Shop!

A collection of how-to guides, travel tools, and courses to help expats move abroad.


Retire to Croatia- ...
Clear all

Retire to Croatia- The Croatia Retirement Visa Guide (Costs, Requirements, and Process)

Joined: 5 years ago
Posts: 592
Topic starter  

Expats retiring in Croatia enjoy a Mediterranean climate, turquoise blue waters, world-class beaches, and a low cost of living. Get your guide on How-To Retire to Croatia, including retirement visa options, taxes, and health insurance options.

Topic Tags
(@Michael Cannon)
New Member
Joined: 3 years ago
Posts: 1

I am US citizen and my wife is Finnish/US dual citizen... so EU citizenship. Would her EU status make a difference as far as the temporary living arrangements? Could we stay longer than 9 months?

Joined: 5 years ago
Posts: 592
Topic starter  

Hi Michael,

Sorry for the late response. I was in Cairo with limited internet access. Your wife's EU citizenship makes ALL the difference in the world. Croatia is an EU country, so she can live and work in Croatia with no restrictions. You, as her spouse, would apply for a temporary residence card as a "Non-EEA family member of an EU citizen." The residence card is valid for up to 5 years or for as long as your wife stays in Croatia. After 5-years, you can even apply for permanent residency.

When you get to Croatia, ask your local MUP (the police administration for your town) for a Form 2b. You will need your marriage certificate translated and apostilled, along with the standard background check, health insurance coverage, and proof of sufficient financial means.

You're lucky. As a spouse of an EU citizen, Croatia and most of Europe is legally your playground.

If you have any other questions, please don't hesitate to drop me a line.